cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 Stacking Question

andycho
Level 1
Level 1

Can the WS-C2950-24 be used in a stack with teh WS-C2950C-24. The description of the WS-C2950-24 is it is a standalone switch, while all of teh Ws-C2950C-24 i have sold are stackable. Customer needs 11 of the cheaper switches, but some will need to be stacked. I am not sure if the cheaper WS-C2950-24 is stackable.

HELP!!!!!

7 Replies 7

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WS-C2950-24 has only 24 10/100 ports and no GBIC-based 1000BaseX uplinks. The WS-C2950C-24 has 24 10/100 ports and two fixed 100BASE-FX uplink ports. Hence you cannot Gigastack these switches.

Unfortunately, I thought as much... Thank you for the reply.

Regarding the WS-C2950C-24...

I need to stack 5 switches in an IDF, with 1 of them connecting to the fiber drop back the MDF. I assumed that 1 of the 100-FX ports could be used for the fiber drop connection.

1. is this a correct assumption?

2. do you know what is required to stack the 5 switches?

When you say stacking, do you mean to just connect these switches together?Since neither of the switches have 1000baseX ports, you cannot gigastack as explained in the following page

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/150.html

Thanks again - and sorry, first time user of this system, so i just reposted the ? again.

To clarify... Yes - I need to install 5 of these switches together in a rack. They are "stackable", or at least the tech specs state so. So, wondering what is required to connect these together as 1 stack in the rack.

Can you point me to the online tech specs. They might be referring to WS-C2950G's which have 1000baseX ports

this link states "stackable" -

i was under the assumption one of the 2 100Base-FX ports could be used to connect to the fiber patch panel that connects back to the MDF...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/ps630/index.html

kmataranglo
Level 1
Level 1

since you can not go with gigabit, you could always "stack" them with a ether channel. you can bundle up to 8 fast ethernet ports for a total of like 800mb

that should be enough for most thingies

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: