Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch + 1611 router not working.

bob
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I am new to the cisco world but trying to learn as much as i can. With that being said here it goes.

I recently bought a 24 port 2950 for my network, to replace a old old 16 port hub. Before the switch I confirmed connections were working properly via ping. I moved all the cables over to the switch and tested connectivity again. My local lan works great! However my connect to the wan does not =( So i tried to ping the router it self, no luck. I checked the lights on the switch are lit and even blink showing activity. I did go through the basic setup of the switch before i tried to implament it.

What this feels like is a default route type of issue... However that doesnt make any sense to me as its a switch not a router. =p That it doesnt know the router is there.

Any suggestions or tips are warmly welcomed. As soon as i moved everything back to the old hub everything works again. weird??? What am i forgetting to do on the switch?

Thank you for your help and have a good evening.

Robert Wright.

4 Replies 4

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

did you configure the switch with an ip address on the same subnet as the directly connected router ? a config would help .

I configured vlan1 with an ip address on the same subnet and such.. Should i have done the port instead? I will get the config on here as soon as i can.

did you add a default gateway ?

That must be it! Because i tried to do ip route 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx and it came back, anyhow it wouldnt work so i figured oh guess dont have to do that. After i read your comment though i found its "ip default gateway" or something along those lines.

Thank you! I will try it out tomorrow morning.. Thanks again.

-Bob