cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch can work as hub?

gtang
Level 1
Level 1

Can a 2950 be configured to work as a hub and disable CAM table lookups?

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Why do you want to convert a switch to a hub ? Why not buy a cheaper hub from a local electronics shop rather than spending 1000's of dollars on a switch.I doubt if what you want is possible, unless there is a hidden command that does this.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I could find no way to cause a 2950 to act like a hub. In my case I was attempting to use Microsoft Network Load Balancing using unicast (NT servers) and did not want to add a bunch of hubs to the data center network, to give one possible answer to the question "why would someone want to do this ?". Thankfully the newer implimentations of NLB can use a multicast scheme.

Dave

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gloria

I do not think that the 2950 can be configured to disable MAC address table lookup and act like a hub.

Why would you want to do this? It seems to me that if you were to do this it forces everything into half duplex operation and gives up significant performance advantage that you get with a switch. If we understand what you are attempting to achieve perhaps we can help find a way to accomplish it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

gtang
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The reason we want to do this is b/c we're attempting to use Microsoft Network Load Balancing and have already purchased this switch and would like to put it to use rather than use a bunch of hubs. Dave answered my questions in that newer implementations of Microsoft NLB can use a multicast scheme. Thanks!