cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch stops responding

s.sshapiro
Level 1
Level 1

2950 switch stops responding when enter any command at CLI (show ver, config, ?)

Any advices?

6 Replies 6

ccie5851
Level 1
Level 1

Does this happen only with a telnet session or does it happen when you are connected to the console port? Does the switch stop forwarding frames or just the user interface hangs?

It is happaning over telnet session. I can't check if it stops forwarding but I think it does because I can not ping it for the while

Does the switch reload? Do you have console access where you can be connected to the console and telnet in to see if you see anything on the console? If you can get in on the console, do a show log to see if you see anything questionable.

Just to make sure I have this right, you can start a telnet session, log in, but after that, your session hangs? Are you using any AAA (TACACSS or RADIUS) on the switch? Are you on the same VLAN as the management interface of the switch? Maybe some weird routing issue is cropping up as a telnet hang.?!

I do not have console access, it is our remote office.

I can telnet, enter global config mode, save config, reload, but I can't set up spanning tree on ports and type any show commands ( "show log" too).

sluke
Level 1
Level 1

If you're fiddling with spanning tree, are you causing STP to re-compute? This could time out a telnet session, i.e. STP convergence will be 50 seconds by default, enough to time out a telnet sessions as the ports transitions from listening-learning-forwarding states.

HTH

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Try to upgrade the IOS. I've noticed the "freezing" 2950 problem recently with temporary not responding to Ping, upgraded to 12.0(5)WC2 and it works fine now.

HTH,

Milan