cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set a 2950 switch with basic connectivity.

I have given it an IP address and gateway but I still can't ping anything outside nor no one can ping the switch

Can you guys please help?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

Yes by default the logical interface which is vlan 1 in your case in admin shut down state and when you assign an ip you must make in "no shut".

Lets check 2 things for your web interface to work.

Make you yo have JVM installed on your computer (Java Virtual Machine)

Also make sure "ip http server" is enabled on your switch if not just run this command on global config mode.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

Hi Friend,

Just have a look at this link and see if this helps you and if this is what you are looking for

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950scg/swcms.htm#wp1000182

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

2950 is a pure layer 2 switch and will not do any routing.

Are you trying to ping to some different subnet against what you have on your switch and which device is your default gateway. Your default gateway must have a route to the subnet which you are trying to ping.

Can you please give a clear picture of your topology which can help us to analyse your issue easily.

Basically toping any one from switch or from any place to ping switch you just need a proper route.

Also make sure that the ip address which you have assigned to the switch it is on which vlan and do you have any device connected to that vlan on layer 2 port to make the vlan active and logical interface up.

HTH

Ankur

My setup is very simple. The 2950 switch is at its defaults. The only thing I did was gave it an IP of 10.21.30.14 255.255.255.0.

I did this on Interface vlan 1 since I read that all hosts connected to the switch by default are on vlan 1. Then I gave it the IP address of my network default gateway (which is a plain Netgear box) which is 10.21.30.50

Reason I am doing this is because I want to access the switch thru the web and also I want to be able to telnet to it.

But I can't ping it nor it can't ping anything. My entire network sits on one single subnet (10.21.30.0/24)

If you need me to post the running config I will

thanks

How about your VLAN status? already up?

Cheer,

Nitass

Hi Friend,

Oki so all in one subnet. Just check the status of "sh int vlan 1" also I hope there is no ACL on your router which is blocking some icmp traffic?

Is there any pc connected to the switch with same subnet ip and can you try to ping from there and confirm the status?

Regards,

Ankur

OK, here is the output is "sh int vlan 1"

Vlan1 is administratively down, line protocol is down

Hardware is CPU Interface, address is 0012.7f3d.0c80 (bia 0012.7f3d.0c80)

Internet address is 10.21.30.14/24

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input never, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue :0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

32079 packets input, 2053838 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 6 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 6 ignored

463365 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 3 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

I have like 16 PCs connected to the switch and they can all see/ping each other. My default gateway is just a plain Netgear box sitting at 10.21.30.50.

Do the following:

conf t

interface vlan 1

no shut

exit

exit

wri mem

And then try.

The interface is shut off

beautiful....... but why the int was shut down? is this by default?

I can now ping from the switch to any one of the hosts connected to it and it took some time for the hosts to be able to ping the switch... but all sweet now

Right now I am finally able to type the switch ip address into a web browser and get in to the switch, but when I press the link Web Console I get a "The page cannot be found" error

What;s the problem now? is this feature shut down as well?

Hi Friend,

Yes by default the logical interface which is vlan 1 in your case in admin shut down state and when you assign an ip you must make in "no shut".

Lets check 2 things for your web interface to work.

Make you yo have JVM installed on your computer (Java Virtual Machine)

Also make sure "ip http server" is enabled on your switch if not just run this command on global config mode.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi, sorry for the delays.

I entered "ip http sever" in global (conf t mode), then "exit" and then "wri mem" and nothing. I get the same -The page cannot be found- error when I click on the WEB CONSOLE link

I have tried it in 2 pcs and both of them are running the java client

Do I need to enable something else?

can anyone PLEASE help here?

I entered "ip http server" to enable the web access but I am still unable to get in to the switch using the web.

When I type the switch IP into my IE browser, I get into the switch's main page (one that says Cisco Systems... and it has links to Telnet, Show Interfaces, etc.... the first link is Web Console)

That first link is where I want to go but when I click on it, I get the "The page cannot be found" error

any help will be appreciated

thanks

Hi Friend,

Just have a look at this link and see if this helps you and if this is what you are looking for

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950scg/swcms.htm#wp1000182

Regards,

Ankur

I went to this link you gave me and found out new things, like the CMS plug-in I needed. I downloaded it but I am still unable to access the switch via web access.

At this point I am thinking it could be the old version of my switch IOS. Here's the output of my "sh ver" command:

sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(11)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 28-Aug-02 10:25 by antonino

Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x80528000

ROM: Bootstrap program is CALHOUN boot loader

Switch uptime is 1 week, 15 hours, 54 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-11.EA1.bin"

cisco WS-C2950-24 (RC32300) processor (revision Q0) with 20402K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC0843Z1A1

Last reset from system-reset

Running Standard Image

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:12:7F:3D:0C:80

Motherboard assembly number: 73-5781-13

Power supply part number: 34-0965-01

Motherboard serial number: FOC08430SQ7

Power supply serial number: DAB0838H5T2

Model revision number: Q0

Motherboard revision number: A0

Model number: WS-C2950-24

System serial number: FOC0843Z1A1

Configuration register is 0xF

Switch#

So you think it could be that I am running an old IOS version and by upgrading it would let me access it via web interface?

From one of your earlier notes, it looks like you are hitting the switch's webpage, but you cannot access the CMS tools

You might want to check the Java support that you have on your machine that you are using to access the switch. In IE you can see it from Tools/Internet Options on the Advanced Tab, if you scroll down you can see the Java version you are running.

The Web Console only supports Java Runtime versions 1.3.0

If you are running a newer version, you will have to downgrade. Follow the links on the CMS webpage that you see.

The following link will take you to the runtime downloads

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/java

I did everything I have been told here... and on the process I noticed I didnt have few things in place... the interface was not enabled, the http server was not enabled, I was missing and I had no clue about the CMS plugin.... and after fixing all that still no goal

I started reading even more, specially those links I was sent in this thread and somewhere in the process of reading and trying to apply those things that the links were telling me to, I ended up myself learning how to get around inside the switch and for the HTTP to work like it shuld, obviously the files (the CMS files) needed to be in the switch BUT were missing.... specially the http folder.

So, it was clear to me at that point that I needed those files in there. So I went ahead and downloaded a newer IOS WITH the CMS files. I proceeded with the upgrade, and after I was done, I was able to get in to the switch via HTTP.

All is now working so smooth that I even downloaded Cisco Assistant which is a GREAT tool

I want to thank all that helped me here, thanks to you too geoff..... and I am sure I am gonna have more questions about switching soon

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: