Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 sx configuration

bongestrada
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone act i'm new in networking i really appreciate if you can help me

i have cisco 2950 sx i want to create a new vlan and configure the Gigaethernet i want to interconnect to the existing nework are in vlan 20

Act i create a new vlan 20 and i want all port will belongs to vlan 20 but when i check it all port are still in vlan 1

how about the ip address bec when i use the express setup the default is in vlan 1 but i dont want to use the vlan 1 bec the current network there using vlan 20

regards,

bong

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If gig 0/1 and gig 0/2 are the ports connecting this switch to other part of network then allow that vlan 20 in that ports also as you did in fastethernet ports.

if you have plan to allow some other vlan thro. this port then use mode as trunk instead of access.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

hi

U have to give following two commands in the interface configuration mode to make one port belong to particular vlan.

interface

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

For Example,

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1100

Hi thanks for your help i did this configuration for the port but still not working how about the gigabitethernet should be also in vlan 20?

thanks

Hello,

in addition to Balaji's post, if you want to use VLAN 20 as the management VLAN, you will need to user the 'interface vlan 20' command and assign the management IP address to that Vlan. Keep in mind that the 2950 is not a layer 3 switch, which means that you cannot create more than one VLAN with an ip address on it.

Also, you might want to check if your existing switches are part of a VTP domain. You can check this on any of the existing switches with the command 'show vtp status'. If you see a VTP domain name in the output, configure that name (case-sensitive) on the new 2950 switch as well:

2950#conf t

2950(config)#vtp domain xxxx

If the management Vlan (20) already exists in your network, chances are that you do not even have to configure it locally, provided your new 2950 switch is configured with the VTP domain name, as described above, and in VTP client mode:

2950#conf t

2950(config)#vtp client

A VTP client gets all the Vlan information from the VTP server...

Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GP

I appreciate your help i did this configuration i create a vlan 20 then assign an ip add.i configured each fastethernet to switchport mode access and switchport access vlan 20 . how about the gigaethernet 0/1 and 0/2 should i configured to vlan 20?

thanks,

bong

If gig 0/1 and gig 0/2 are the ports connecting this switch to other part of network then allow that vlan 20 in that ports also as you did in fastethernet ports.

if you have plan to allow some other vlan thro. this port then use mode as trunk instead of access.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: