Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2950 with multiple IP addresses

I am trying to create a Voice VLAN along with the data VLAN on a 2950.

The VLANs are created but when I add an IP address to the voice VLAN so that I can get a seperate IP range on the IP phones, it shuts down the IP address for the data VLAN.

I am sort of convinced that the 2950 can only support a single IP address.

Can someone confirm this or offer a work around?

Thanks.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: 2950 with multiple IP addresses

If I remember correctly the 1950 can only have one IP interface, and when you activate the second one it disables the first one. The 2950 is not really a router so you can only have one ip address on it.

Hope that answers it.

Bronze

The 2950 is a layer 2 switch and only supports a single SVI (ip address on a vlan interface) for mgmt. purposes. Vlans can be created, but you need to trunk to a router and provision subinterfaces on the router for inter-vlan routing to occur. Hope this helps.

Hi Bill,

First of all , you cann't give two IP addresses on two different VLANs at a time in any Layer2 switch. If you do so, then one VLAN will be up & running but second one will go down .Cisco 2950 is a Layer 2 switch.That's why this problem is happening with you.

Thanks & Regards

Sandipani C

Green

You are correct. You can assign multiple IP addresses (one per VLAN), but only one can be active at a time.

The IP addressing on an L2 switch (like the 2950) is just there for management (so you can telnet to it). You should also remember to put in a Default Gateway so your telnet traffic can be routed throughout the network, not just the local segment.

(also pay attention to which VLAN is your Native and Management VLAN)

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.