Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2950G switch not seeing WS-5484 fibre GBIC?

Hi there;

I've a new 48port 2950G (the EI model). The problem I'm having is:

a 5484 fibre GBIC doesn't get seen in it, using 'SHO INT' after installing it.No lights appear on it either. I tried it in a 3550 to test it: couldn't see it there either.

Thinking it was a dead GBIC, I rma'd it: unfortunately, the new one doesn't show in the 2950 either!

Am I doing something wrong, or do you think I need a firmware update maybe? The switch is box-fresh, but I don't know how long it's been sitting in a depot somewhere.

Thanks!

0r8it

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: 2950G switch not seeing WS-5484 fibre GBIC?

Did you try a "show interfaces status" command? Your WS-G5484 SX GBIC should show up on Gi0/1 or Gi0/2 as Type 1000BaseSX.

The SX GBIC should be supported in all of the firmware versions for the 2950G, it's a basic building block of any Gigabit Ethernet network. I don't think they would have dared leave that out, even in the initial release.

You didn't say what you were trying to connect it to. Cisco switch to Cisco switch or router generally works fine. If you're connecting it to some other manufacturer's switch, the Cisco may need a couple parameters set on the Gig interface so that it gets along with the other switch. (Other posts here in the forums have dealt with this topic on Dell and 3Com switches, to name a few.)

Could it be a physical media problem? SX GBIC works multimode fiber cable only; make sure you're not using single mode fiber patches to make the connection.

Also, some patch cables come with their SC connectors tied together such that you can't swap the position of the SC connector in the GBIC's TX port over to the RX port and vice versa at one end of the link. Some of these (e.g. Siecor) are easy to separate and reverse; others (e.g. Amp) can be a pain, you may need a sharp knife to cut the plastic that holds them together. The fixed connectors may be forcing you to run straight-through from TX on the GBIC to TX on the other GBIC (and RX to RX) which won't get you a link light.

Remember: for a two-strand fiber link to work, TX needs to go to RX, and RX to TX. Trace your strands to check this.

You could also have two patches that cross-over, but when used in series (near-end patch---horizontal or riser fiber run---then far-end patch) they cancel each other out, leaving you with a straight-through connection. Again, trace your strands to check this.

A simple, quick-and-dirty test of an SX or LX/LH GBIC to verify that the GBIC's not in a bad slot in the switch is to take a known-good single strand of fiber with SC connectors at each end, plug one end into the TX port, then the other end of the same strand into the RX port. (You can use one strand of a duplex patch cable for this, too, as long as the connectors aren't tied together as discussed previously.) As long as the port's not administratively shutdown, you should see the link LED light up. When it does, disconnect that patch cable because you have created an Ethernet loop. If no link LED, you could have a bad GBIC.

Hope this helps.

UPDATED to add:

How far is the fiber run? Multimode works for Ethernet at half or full duplex out to 2000 meters; Fast Ethernet at half duplex to 412m, full duplex to 2000m. But Gigabit Ethernet with SX GBICs is generally limited to 220m or 275m, full duplex, depending on the modal bandwidth of the fiber. If you're working with multimode that's been around for a while or used previously with a slower-speed technology (FDDI or ATM OC-3c even), the run could be too long. LX/LH GBICs and mode conditioning patch cords can push Gigabit Ethernet to 550m standard, and even 700m at the extreme. Any farther than that, you need single-mode fiber or some of that new performance-enhanced 50/125-micron multimode.

Thanks Konigl;

I'm connecting it across approximately 150m of *what I'm told is* mmf to a brandnew fibre to Gigabit Ethernet media converter, then on to a another brandnew 3550 I'll clearly need to check all of this out for veracity. Sadly, the site is 300 miles away, so a quick check is out!

Thanks very much for that reply: its been very illuminating.

0r8it

Folks, I've done some more testing (have the switch in my hands now)

G0/1 'show interfaces status' shows '1000 base sx'.

Fibre is new, 2 metres in length and definitely mmf.

The light to the right of the g0/1 port does not light up, apart from during reloads.

I have the fibre pair connected from the gbic to a new 'Raven' 1000 Fibre to 100/1000 UTP media converter. There is a link light on both the UTP and fibre interface on the Raven.

In terms of actual configuration, I have only ran through the basic setup 'wizard' which runs after clearing out any configurations. Here's the config anyway:

sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2734 bytes

!

version 12.1

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

hostname test

!

enable secret 5 ??????????????????

enable password ????????

!

ip subnet-zero

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree extend system-id

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

interface FastEthernet0/2

no ip address

!

interface FastEthernet0/3

no ip address

(etc, etc, etc)

no ip address

!

interface FastEthernet0/45

no ip address

!

interface FastEthernet0/46

no ip address

!

interface FastEthernet0/47

no ip address

interface FastEthernet0/48

no ip address

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

no ip address

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

no ip address

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 150.1.175.1 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip http server

!

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

line vty 0 4

password babtie

login

line vty 5 15

password ??????

login

!

end

BTW: I've a pc at one end (connected to the utp port on the converter): ip is 150.1.175.2,

and one at the other side (connected to port 1 on the switch) with 150.1.175.3

150.1.175.3 can ping the switch (150.1.175.1) no problem, and vice versa.

cheers-

0r8it

I think the media converter is your problem.

I don't know of any converters that will work with the cisco gbic. They don't even negotiate speed. It's 1000 or nothing at all. I would get another gbic for the far end or do a ethernet to fiber converter for the span and convert it back to ethernet on the other side.

Here's how I fixed it:

set 'no negotiate' on g0/1.

Works beautifully.

Working theory is: although port is fixed at 1Gb, it still does some kind of negotiation- cant think why!

Converter was messing up the signal.

For the record, when I discovered this, I emailed TAC to tell them to close the case I had open. They then admitted that they knew this workaround might work- they just forgot to tell me.

Not happy with that, but glad I got it working in the end.

0r8it

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content