Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

2950SX to 2950G VLAN

I want to use a 2950SX (standard image IOS) as a remote distribution switch which would uplink (1000baseSX MMF) to an SX-GBIC port on a 2950G. The 2950G is connected to a 1721 router which is running several different PVC's. The different PVC's need to route to VLAN ports on the 2950SX. Can I estblish VLAN's between the Enhanced image IOS and the Standard image IOS ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: 2950SX to 2950G VLAN

Hello,

yes, this is no problem, both images support trunking (802.1q only, no ISL). So all you need to do is build trunks between the switches and the router over which to carry the VLANs...

HTH,

GP

3 REPLIES

That should work without any problem. All you got to do is make sure you use right gbics on both ends, (SX to SX) and the right fiber cable. Also make sure the fiber cable is a cross over (Rx->Tx and vice versa).

Once the link comes up, you can configure trunking on the fiber port.

int gi 0/1

switchport mode trunk

2950 supports only 802.1q encap for trunking. Once this is done, configure the same vlans on either ends and assign them to ports.

vlan database

vlan 2 name Vlan2

vlan 3 name Vlan 3

show <---shows configured vlans

exit

The above commands create vlans on the database of each switch. If you have a lot of vlans, its wise to use VTP and configure one switch as VTP server and other as client.

HTH

VIP Purple

Hello,

yes, this is no problem, both images support trunking (802.1q only, no ISL). So all you need to do is build trunks between the switches and the router over which to carry the VLANs...

HTH,

GP

Community Member

Thanks for your reply. My worry was that the layer 2 vlan on the 2950sx (standard IOS) and the layer 3 vlan on the 2950g (enhanced IOS) would be minimally compatable. I do not have to use vlan spanning tree with this particular configuration.

Thanks again,

DM

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content