cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500xl additional VLAN stuck in 'shutdown'

cgz01csnappy
Level 1
Level 1

Can I have multiple VLANs on my 3500xl? I know I can configure them, they I cannot get them out of the shutdown state.

I need two separate broadcast domains, but do NOT need any routing between them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As long as the vlan is defined in the vlan database (which it appears you have verified as active), then you can certainly pass traffic through ports that are assigned to said vlans. if the vlan interface is down, that will have no bearing on the traffic coming from devices connected to the switch. As long as the trunk is configured to carry all of the necessary vlans, then you should be good to go.

-Bobby

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

b-ulrich
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I believe you can only have one SVI up and operational for switch management on these switches. You will need to configure the layer 2 vlans for what you are referring to. This should work.

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You probably need to add the vlan to the vlan database:

switch#

vlan database

vlan xx name secondvlan

exit

switch#

Remember to use exit, not ctrl-Z

Regards,

Leo

b-ulrich is correct. The 3500xl platform only supports one active SVI (VLAN Interface) for management purposes.

HTH,

Bobby

cgz01csnappy
Level 1
Level 1

So, to summarize, I can only have one broadcast domain per switch?

No, you can have multiple broadcast domains, or vlans, but only one active layer 3 interface associated with one of the vlans.

the 3500xl is a layer 2 switch. So in order to route between vlans, you will need to connect the switch to an external router or layer 3 switch with a trunk. One Vlan interface can be configured with an IP address for management purposes (ping, telnet, etc).

Hope that clarifies things.

-Bobby

I don't need to route at all, but I do need to keep broadcast traffic separate.

Even though the VLAN is 'administratively down' can I pass traffic through ports assigned to it? I just need to get the traffic from fa0/48 through the trunk on g0/1, where it is destined to be delivered to a port on another switch.

The VLAN claims to be active in the VTP setup, so the conflicting information is a bit confusing.

Do a show vlan if your vlans show active then the vlan is created . You then assign the ports to the vlan you want them in , "switchport access vlan XX " on each interface . The interface you assign the layer 3 SVI is for switch management purposes only and has nothing to do with routing . If you are just passing a single vlan then you do not need to trunk to the other switch just connect to the other switch with a xover cable.

As long as the vlan is defined in the vlan database (which it appears you have verified as active), then you can certainly pass traffic through ports that are assigned to said vlans. if the vlan interface is down, that will have no bearing on the traffic coming from devices connected to the switch. As long as the trunk is configured to carry all of the necessary vlans, then you should be good to go.

-Bobby

Hi, have you created the layer 2 vlan in vlan dat What you are seeing as 'admin down' is the SVI that you created. Get into vlan database and type 'sh current' That will tell you what vlan you have and their status. On gi0/1 you will need to trunk these vlans, ect.