cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500XL and wrong interface statictics

jeremy-keen
Level 1
Level 1

I had cause to have a look at the interface details (show int.) on a 3500XL switch yesterday, and found a very strange think. There was a server connected to a port, and the port was showing high and fluctuating transmit and recieve loads. I got the client to disconnect the server from the switch, which he did, and the switch showed the port as down and down. The strange thing is that the transmit and receive load counters continued to show load, and the packet/sec also showed packets in and out of the port? This continued for several minutes, I tried clearing the mac table, but the counters kept ticking over. Next, I administratively shut down the interface, the load counters continued to indicate traffic flow but the packet/sec received by the port was nil. After several more minutes the counter did settle down to show no traffic.

Can anyone explain how traffic/load counts can continue to indicate traffic flow when a interface is down/down, and then administratively down. BTY the CAT IOS version is 12.0(5.4)WC(1)

Many thanks,

Jeremy Keen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I agree. You can use load interval interface config command to change the value.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/fun_r/frprt3/frgenral.htm#1018414 for details.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

I think any CISCO IOS based device shows 5 minuts average input or output packets/sec statistics.

This could be the reason why you were able to see the packets/sec even after you have disconnected the server.

Hi,

I agree. You can use load interval interface config command to change the value.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/fun_r/frprt3/frgenral.htm#1018414 for details.

Regards,

Milan

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply, the info seems spot on. I still have one query though - once the server was disconnected I would expect the counters to only trend downwards to zero over 5 minutes. However they fluctuated both up and down during that period?

Thanks again for the advice and the links.

Jeremy Keen

Hi Jeremy,

I'd also expect the counters to go down after server disconnection.

If they fluctuated both up and down I'd consider it as a IOS bug.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: