Views
Helpful
Replies

3500XL Gig Link Problem

anthony.baker
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me coz I think I'm missing something really basic here!

I've got a 3500XL switch and want to connect it to my core 6500's using the gig connections (via GBICs). Now, I've done this loads of times with 3550's and it's always been a simple process but something's wrong this time.

When I connect the two the 6500 sees the link as up and sees the 3500 in it's CDP neighbours. However, the 3500 sees the link as down and has nothing in the CDP table. Both interfaces are the same at both ends and have tried using a crossover cable as well as a normal one!

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Faulty GBIC ?

Did you try connecting one at the time ?

Does it work then ?

Does the problem follow the physical connection ?

I've tried different GBIC's and still nothing. I also connected the same cable to one of the 100Mb ports and that came up fine so doesn't seem like a physical problem to me.

Thanks.

How about forcing the speed to 100/FD on both the 3500 and 6500 switch (troubleshooting speed/duplex mismatch).

If you works, try going with 1000/FD.

Post back with results.

That's a bit tricky as I can only set the speed/duplex at the 6500 end, not at the 3500 end (as it doesn't allow it).

I've tried all the combinations on the 6500 end tho and no success.

Did you try upgrading the IOS on the 3500 ?

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas. This should be a simple issue.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check your code levels and upgrade to the last version cisco made for these old boxes.

Thanks to all for their responses.....turns out that the very latest IOS did the trick, even though I wasn't too far off the latest with the one that I was trying!

Still, that solves the mystery,

Thanks

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I am having the same issue as you descirbed. Can you tell me the version that you upgraded to?

Thanks,

Chris

Sure Chris,

It's the latest in the CISCO software download tool, Version 12.0(5)WC17. The filename is c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin. It's a bit tricky to find tho as it's not in the normal place. You need to log in to the software download part of the site, then go to switches software, LAN switches and then 3500... there you'll find the different versions and the one that I describe.

I hope that helps.

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Thanks, I was able to find it with your directions.

Chris