cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500XL Switch Dropping offline, Telnet session to servers are disconnected

vonnell
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased a large number of 3500XL switches and are having problems now. We run an application that is accessed by telnet. Since the installation these telnet sessions are being interrupted and users are have to log in again and again.

We have made port one the uplink port (100 full duplex) to another switch (100 full duplex). As we monitor it time to time with our network monitoring systems it become unpingable. I've been plugged into the switch and active online when when these moments of nonpingability occur. I still have a connection but my telnet and pings go no where.

HELP!!!

Vonnell

1 Reply 1

psijnja
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on your setup it might be a problem with Spanning Tree, of you have redundat links or layer2 loops it is advisable to configure a switch to be spanning tree root. (this is per vlan).

Another problem I have seen in the past is auto negotiation, this can also provide problems.

You should look at port statistics. And see if there are any errors.

I presume there is no router or firewall in between the users and the telnet servers. They could be configured to disconnect sessions after a certain time.

To give you a better answer, I will need some more information