Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3508 Concentrator Design

I plan to use 3 3508's as Concentrators for 16 3548's supporting 700 PC's.

My question is: Should I link the 3508's together with "GigaStack" cards or use 1000Base-SX cards, and what is the advantage of one over the other?

5 REPLIES

Re: 3508 Concentrator Design

I don't think that there is any difference between the GigaStack or the Fiber cards. They both run at 1000mbps. However, there is a distance limitation for the Gigastack cables. Are you using layer three device anywhere in the network or is it all one VLAN????

Thanks. Yes I will have a Layer3 device, actually two: There will be 2 2948G-L3

switches into the 3508's. And hanging off the 2948G-L3's will be stacks of 3548's. Planning on using VLAN 's (2 per floor=14) and the 2948G-L3's will be running HSRP to back each other up.

Gigastacks provide a bus type topology between your 3508's. This is an advantage over 1000Base-SX. Frames are switched from bottom switch to the top switch without impacting the backplane of the middle switch. There is a distance limitation with the giga-stacks but it if the 3508's are located in the same cabinet I would go with the giga-stacks.

I thought that was the case. Thanks!

Previous message posted by cpugh@dfwairport.com ... Not.. Charles.pugh@inetx.com. I have updated my CCO. sorry.

Views
Helpful
Replies