Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3524 to 4003 connectivity issues

I am currently experiencing some strange problems with a new 3524 switch uplinked to a 4003 via SX GBICS and 62.5/125 fibre.

The scenario is this:

I have a 4003 switch fitted with a supervisor engine I in slot 1, 48-port 10/100 RJ45 card in slot 2 (part WS-X4148-RJ), and a 32-port 10/100 RJ45 / 2-port GBIC card in slot 3 (part WS-X4232-GB-RJ). The 4003 has been installed and working without problem for around 18 months. I recently introduced a Catalyst 3524 switch and connected it to the 4003 via the GBIC ports on the card in slot 3 using shortwave GBIC modules (part WS-G5484=).

Since introducing the connection between the two switches the users on the 3524 switch have experienced loss of connection to the main network (4003), and then over the last few days the link between the two switches has been stopping totally - the GBIC port LED on the 3524 would not be lit or sometimes return to amber (indicating STP learning process - poss. interface reset), whereas the 4003 GBIC port LED would remain on and the port status would be reported as 'connected' even though there was no connectivity. On removing the GBIC module from the 4003 the LED would remain on instead of going off as expected. I have since found that disabling and re-enabling the GBIC port on the 4003 resets the port and re-establishes the link, only to fail again a while later.

Also, at the same time some of the PCs connected via the 32 UTP ports on the card in slot 3 started to be disconnected from the network.

Assuming that the card in slot 3 was faulty I swapped the card with an exact replacement, but the same problems remain.

To further troubleshoot the problem I have since used different GBIC modules, fibre patch cables, different fibre cores between the patch panels, and finally a different 3524 switch - but still the same problems. Although it is beginning to look like a fault in the backplane or Supervisor engine in the 4003, before I start replacing these parts I was wondering if anyone had experienced these problems with this hardware combination.

Additional information:

4003 CatOS version is 4.5(2) cat4000.4-5-2.bin

3524 IOS version is 12.0 c3500XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.4.WC.1.bin

Thanks in advance for any help,

Graeme Richardson.

2 REPLIES

Re: 3524 to 4003 connectivity issues

You might want to try to upgrade the OS - it is about 2 major revs back. If that doesn't help it may be a sup module.

You could also try checking the syslog on both the 4003 and the 3524 to see if any messgaes are being logged.

On the 4003 enter "show logging buffer -1023"

Re: 3524 to 4003 connectivity issues

I would definitely recommend an upgrade to the Cat4k to avoid CSCdu48749. Is the connection from the Cat4k to the XL series a trunk link?

Views
Helpful
Replies