Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3524xl Pulled from multi-vlan network,Now want to use it for small network

I don't understand what is going on. I am setting up a small test network and I have done this a million times before.

We have a 6509 at the center of our collapsed core network. At the access layer we have multiple clustered 3524's. I pulled one out of the live network and I am now simply trying to setup a "dumb" network.

For whatever reason I cannot get my 2-3 test workstations to talk.

1. All ports on the involved switch have been cleared and are on the same default VLAN.

2. spanning-tree portfast command has been enabled.

3. I erased all config in NVRAM.

4. I went into the vlan-database and cleared out any of the old vlan's and set the switch from client to server.

5. All machines are assigned a static IP 192.168.x.x/24 shouldn't be much harder than that.....

you'd think they'd start talking...

I am simply baffled at this point, I am sure there is something I am missing here.

If there is a better way to do this let me know. If there is a really good clean way to just blow everything away on this thing, also post that. Because apparently the methods I have used in the past to do this are just not working.

3 REPLIES

Re: 3524xl Pulled from multi-vlan network,Now want to use it for

Did you reset the switch after clearing the vlan database? You mention the addresses 192.168.x.x /24 I suppose the first x is the same for the test workstations: for example 192.168.1.1 /24 and 192.168.2.2 /24 won't be able to communicate with each other when only using a switch, in this case you should take a /16 subnet mask.

regards,

Dimitri

yeah... they are on a 192.168.1.X... shoulda clarified. yeah I reset the switch. I have been in meetings all day today..... I am gonna have to try some other things...

You could of course try to connect a machine with a sniffer like app to another port and turn on SPAN to that port from 2 other ports that do not communicate. At least you will be able to see what is going across.

Just a thought, Maarten Sjouw.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content