cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3524xl Pulled from multi-vlan network,Now want to use it for small network

bfetzer
Level 1
Level 1

I don't understand what is going on. I am setting up a small test network and I have done this a million times before.

We have a 6509 at the center of our collapsed core network. At the access layer we have multiple clustered 3524's. I pulled one out of the live network and I am now simply trying to setup a "dumb" network.

For whatever reason I cannot get my 2-3 test workstations to talk.

1. All ports on the involved switch have been cleared and are on the same default VLAN.

2. spanning-tree portfast command has been enabled.

3. I erased all config in NVRAM.

4. I went into the vlan-database and cleared out any of the old vlan's and set the switch from client to server.

5. All machines are assigned a static IP 192.168.x.x/24 shouldn't be much harder than that.....

you'd think they'd start talking...

I am simply baffled at this point, I am sure there is something I am missing here.

If there is a better way to do this let me know. If there is a really good clean way to just blow everything away on this thing, also post that. Because apparently the methods I have used in the past to do this are just not working.

3 Replies 3

dzuodar
Level 1
Level 1

Did you reset the switch after clearing the vlan database? You mention the addresses 192.168.x.x /24 I suppose the first x is the same for the test workstations: for example 192.168.1.1 /24 and 192.168.2.2 /24 won't be able to communicate with each other when only using a switch, in this case you should take a /16 subnet mask.

regards,

Dimitri

yeah... they are on a 192.168.1.X... shoulda clarified. yeah I reset the switch. I have been in meetings all day today..... I am gonna have to try some other things...

You could of course try to connect a machine with a sniffer like app to another port and turn on SPAN to that port from 2 other ports that do not communicate. At least you will be able to see what is going across.

Just a thought, Maarten Sjouw.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: