cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3524XL Switch acting up...

mowtnman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem accessing some devices remotely...

I have established connectivity to the devices but after an hour or 2 I will not be able to access those devices. The workaround that I have been using is clar the arp table on our 2611 router, establishing connectivity (icmp) then I can reach the devices- but only for about an hour or so before I start the process again. I have updated both IOS versions on the switch and router to what TAC recommended- I actually replaced the router , which narrows it down to the switch...

Has anyone experienced similar problems with their devices? If so, What is the recommended fix?

7 Replies 7

pdoolittle
Level 1
Level 1

FWIW:

The fact that clearing the ARP cache fixes it, would lean me toward garbage in the router arp cache. perhaps even a duplicate IP situation from a device that does not talk all that often. When it does, a new entry is added, and your telnet sessions terminate on a device that doesn't answer.

More common is a device that speakes less frequently that the arp cache timeout. As such, it disappears until it speaks again. A clear sign of this is when a ping (or anything else) out of the lost device restores remote connectivity.

Free advice, probably worth what you paid for it.

Philip

I understand your view, however I have IDS devices on that link that are continually capturing traffic and reporting it back to a console here at my HQ.

I also staticly entered the IP to MAC addresses of those IDS devices into the router arp table... Also in viewing the arp table there were no duplicate matches + there are only 5 devices on the remote network out of a class C subnet.

I appreciate your input!

I'm having the exact same problem with 2 WIN2000 Servers. They are both connected to the same switch, and the only people using the servers are also connected to the switch. In fact, some users are able to ping the servers and others time out...at the exact same time. If I check the arp table on my 3640, they both have entries. I have not been able to find any duplicate MAC addresses or IP's. I'm going to be working more on this, and I'll let you know.

I don't beleive this is a Catalyst problem. Have you tried to use a protocol analyzer to see if ping is getting to the servers and is replied out from them?

It works when I clear the arp table on the router- . I can then establish icmp & telnet to the IDS boxes that I need to pull logs from. So its not as if it doesnt work sometimes- It does, other times it won't.

And what I have seen in the past 2 days of this forum is that there are a couple of other cases involving 3500 series switches that are having very similar probems.

I figured out what my problem was, and here's the low-down: My servers are on the internal network with static NAT translations on my PIX firewall. I had alias commands on my PIX in order for internal hosts to be able to view the server using the same web site that users on the internet are using.

Start a sniffer application and start capturing packets. Clear the arp in your router and on a local PC ("arp -d" and "arp -a" allows you to view your local arp table). Ping the server by name or by IP address...it doesn't matter. With the alias command on my PIX520 running v. 6.1.1, I get two arp replies. I get one from the server with the correct MAC address, and shortly after, I receive a second arp reply with the PIX's MAC address. Remove the alias command, and the only arp reply will be the one from the server itself.

The reason some people see the server sometimes, and others see it all the time has to do with network congestion and latency. If you don't have a PIX, check your DNS server for any misconfigurations. Just a thought.

Thanks Tim, that is good to know. I do have a PIX on that network but it is not filtering trafic at the moment . we previously used it for VPN stuff but know it just has a leg into the remote network. The only way (theoretically) it will see any traffic is if the router has any unknown route paths it will forward everything to its default gateway (PIX). i also have Cisco IDS on that network which are causing some question...

Other than that , there hasnt really been any progress in my issue. I will sniff the traffic again to see if our issues could be related.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: