Views
Helpful
Replies

3548 switch

mih911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My management vlan is 440 and i want to add a 3548 to my network. It set as a VTP client and the uplink ports are set for vlan 440. but the management ip is define under interface VLAN 1.

My question are how to creat a interface 440 and define the ip address under that interface. Beside that i'm unable to ping to 3548 switch. any one can help me to get this problem resolve.

4 Replies 4

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

conf t

in vlan 440

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

management

end

write mem

management is needed to bring the management interface vlan 440 to be up. otherwise it would be admin down.

Below is the error I'm getting

Switch#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)#inter

Switch(config)#interface vlan 440

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config)#interface vlan440

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config)#

You need 12.0(5)XP or higher. You should go to the latest available software.

donalwil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

This may be helpful, on the 3548 Vlan 1 is the management vlan by default and your IP address will reside on the management vlan. Too solve your problem from the switch# prompt you will need to enter the command

switch#vlan database

Switch( )#Vlan 440 name mih

switch( )#exit

switch#show vlan

now you will need to change the management vlan too vlan 440 you do this by

switch#config t

switch(config)#int vlan 440

switch(config-if)#managment

" "#exit

switch#show int

you should now see your IP address on vlan 440 and it's state should be UP and UP

Next now the reason you cannot ping is because Vlan are seperate broadcast domaine, you will need to go through a router(layer 3 device)to ping, but now that your managment vlans are the same you should be able too ping. Since you now have more than one vlan you need to create a trunk port between your two switches

let do port number 4

switch#config t

switch(config)#int fa0/4

switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk

" "#end

switch#show int fa0/4 switchport

/port 4 should now be a trunk port passing traffic for all vlans.

Okay man this should get you rolling. have a good one

Donald

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: