3550 and Switchclouds

rpeasah
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running CW2K with the ff components:

CD One 5th Edition

Campus Mgr 3.2

RME 3.4

Here's my problem. I've Cat3550s as a mother switch for buildings. Hanging off the Cat3550s are Cat2950s to which user workstations are connected. When I go to Topology Services, then expand NETWORK VIEWS, then expand LAN EDGE VIEW, all ports on the 3550 show up as SWITCHCLOUDS. Hence supposing I've 8 2950Gs connected to a 3550G, I end up with 8 switchclouds. There are buildings with 3550-24 feeding about 20 2950s and yes each of the 2950s show up as a SWITCHCLOUD. Very frustrating and irritating. Shouldn't the 3550 (the core or mother switch) show up as a single switchcloud with the 3550 anchoring all the downstream 2950s? I opened a TAC case on this and the case engineer has confirmed this behavior but according to the engineer "that's how CW2K has been designed to work" and has suggested I request a feature enhancement through my Cisco rep. Is anyone experiencing this or I'm the odd ball here? I'm yet to take this up with my Rep because I've been too busy handling Summer Projects. Those of you working in educational institutions, I bet you "feel my pain" when it comes to summer workloads -:).

2 Replies 2

shiloh
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed the same thing. All the 2950s in my network are actually running in seperate VLANs connected to the 3550 as the root bridge. Still, they are all L2 devices, part of the same VTP domain. I believe since the 3550 is looked at as a L3 device, it will still should show a switch cloud hanging off of it. Similar to a router with a switched network hanging off of it. Yet, all the 2950s appear as seperate clouds. I suppose logically the 3550 sees each interface as a seperate ethernet network, just like if a router had two ethernet interfaces with switches on it, it would show two switchclouds.

Not applicable

A bug is filed for this enhancement in Campus Manager..

CSCeb24060

At present the 3550 is treated as a router, so all ports are seen as routed ports instead of switched ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: