cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 + DHCP

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

I have 3550 switch with four VLANs i would like to use this switch like DHCP server and I want create different DHCP pool for every VLAN...

Is it possible?? and how to do this???

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

You cannot use the Cat3550 as a DHCP Server. DHCP server can be implemented on routers only, not on switches.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121relnt/121fprn/2600fp/261213t1.htm#xtocid529810

Actually, the 3550s does operate as DHCP server in one specific situation, namely when running Express Setup...

Whether or not a 'switch' can be DHCP server, really depends on your definition of 'switch'. A Catalyst 6000 switch running Native IOS can be a DHCP server, and since the 3550 is the same code base, it might well do the same, had Cisco chosen to do so.

-A

Asbjoern Hoejmark | CTO | CCIE #8525
Wingmen Solutions A/S | Gyngemose Parkvej 50, 1. | DK-2860 Søborg | Denmark
M: +4525162108 | E: ah@wingmen.dk | W: www.wingmen.dk

nh2tc
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if this is going to help but I had the same problem. The only way I could get it to work was to use a Microsoft DHCP server with the different ip scopes matching the VLAN's and using the ip helper option on the switch which points the DHCP broadcast to the DHCP server on the different VLAN/IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: