Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 in line power question??

alonzo-garza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all :-)

Does anyone know if the 3550 switch supports in line power for instance with use of a wireless access point? I'm guessing that if it does support it I would need the EMI and not the SMI ? Anyway, any direction would be much appreciated. I've been searching through documentation and I can't find any info on it.

Thanks to all,

~zo

5 Replies 5

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

The Catalyst 3550-24 PWR switch with inline power is available in two models:

WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI

WS-C3550-24PWR-EMI

Both models provide inline power, to IP Phones or wireless access points or both.

You only need to decide bettween SMI and EMI software based on what else you want the switch to do. "The SMI feature set includes advanced QoS, rate-limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and RIP routing functionality. The EMI provides a richer set of enterprise-class services including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and multicast routing and the Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP)."

Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps!!!! So I guess they don't make a 48 port 10/100 switch only the 24 port???

Thanks,

~zo

48-port switches with inline power in a stackable format are not available at this time. I have no idea whether there are any plans for such a switch.

48-port switch modules with inline power are available for the Catalyst 4000 and 6000 series chassis switches. I have found that if you have Gigabit Ethernet ports available in a chassis switch, it is usually less expensive to install the stackable inline power switches and uplink them via Gigabit versus using the inline power modules. But the modules are a more elegant solution.

There is a Cisco product called the Inline Power Patch Panel (WS-PWR-PANEL), which looks like a 96-port stackable switch. It lets you take up to 48 10/100 Ethernet connections from regular switches, and add inline power to those cables.

There are also third-party companies that supply in-line power solutions which are Cisco-compatible. Red Hawk is one I am familiar with, that lets you go from as small as a 1-port chassis to a 20-port modular chassis. This can be more cost-effective if you don't need many inline power feeds from a particular switch. These solutions can also be effective if you need to supply inline power to other vendors' equipment. Red Hawk's modular products let you mix and match the inline power supplied (Cisco, IEEE 802.3af, or 24-Volt), on a per-cable-run basis, so you can use non-Cisco WAPs and Ethernet phones with Cisco switches. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.red-hawk.com/products/copper/network/bl8000.htm

This lets you put a centrally-located UPS on the switch and in-line power source, rather than resorting to transformers and power packs with individual UPSs near each device. Keeps the clutter at the end-user's location to a minimum.

Hope this helps too.

I recently learned that there will be a 3750 range of switches which will include inline power model, but I do not know if there will be a 48 port version...

There will be a 24 port inline 3750 after IEEE ratifies inline power standard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: