Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3550: Interface counters

We have a bunch of 3550-switches at two sites, configured and setup exactly the same way. All access-ports are fixed to 100/half, and all NIC's fixed to the same.

In one site, everything is working perfectly, but at the other site many ports have high counters for undersize and runts.

A few hours after counters have been reset, it's not uncommon to have figures showing over 10000 errors in these two fields. At the working site, the counters shows 0 or at least under 10 after a year of counting.

The switches uses the same config and sw-image.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get rid of these errors?

I've come to the conclusion that it might have something to do with different NIC's. The site where everything works fine are using mostly Intel NIC's and the site that has the errors are using mostly 3COM NIC's. Perhaps a known anomaly using 3COM-cards?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: 3550: Interface counters

Hi,

one general question first:

Why are you using 100/half on access ports? Wouldn't it be better to set 100/full (no collisions means higher throughput)? Are there any 100Mbps hubs in your network?

Second:

This might help: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.pdf

Regards,

Milan

Re: 3550: Interface counters

We have an important application that go crazy on 100/full but works fine on 100/half. That's why, and I really dont mind. We dont have any performance-issues with it anyway.

I'll check the link and see what I can find.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies