Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3550 ip default-gateway cmd

My 3550 software configuration guide release 12.1 (13) page 4-10 shows a ip default-gateway cmd. When I go to my vlan interface and type IP there is no default-gateway cmd listed. The cmd ref guide for os 12.1(13) does not list any type of ip default-gateway command. The 3550 displays the ip

default-gateway cmd when at exec mode, but it notes that it is not needed if the 3550 is configured to route with ip the same as the 3550 software configuration guide does. When I use the ip default-gateway in the exec mode it does not display when I use the sh ip route with an * by it to note it as a default-gateway and it does work for my users to when needed.

I got the ip default-gateway to work and display in the sh ip route by using the exec command "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254". Is this the correct way to do this? I realy would like to assign this default-gateway to just one of my vlan interfaces the way the "3550 software configuration guide" shows it on page 4-10.

Thanks, Ken

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: 3550 ip default-gateway cmd

Hi

The ip default-gateway command helps you only when ip routing is disabled.

So that means when you 3550 acts like a host.

The correct way to do it is with a default route as you mentioned it.

See the command reference:

ip default-gateway

To define a default gateway (router) when IP routing is disabled, use the ip default-gateway global configuration command. To disable this function, use the no form of this command.

ip default-gateway ip-address

no ip default-gateway ip-address

Hope that helps you.

Roger

Views
Helpful
Replies