cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Management VLAN

diek
Level 1
Level 1

We had established VLAN 10 as our management vlan 7 years ago when we installed our ATM network. Since then we have moved to Catalyst 6500 and 3500 and maintained VLAN 10 as our management VLAN in place of the Cisco default management VLAN of VLAN 1.

I have been unable to find a way to change the management VLAN default value of VLAN 1 on the 3550.

We are using IOS release 12.1(13).

Is there a way to change the management VLAV default value of VLAN 1 to another VLAN?

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The command you should be looking for is "management" under the appropriate vlan. Not tried this on a 3550, but definitely works on the 3524s.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I agree.

I can do it on our 3524's but it is not on the 3550's.

I am looking for someone to tell me no you cannot and will not be able to do it or yes you do it this way.

Thanks for the reply

Ken

ahojmark
Level 1
Level 1

The 3550 can be managed via any interface that has an IP address, just like any other Cisco router.

So you don't need to configure any specific interface for management. Just give the box an IP address on any interface (physical or VLAN) and use that.

-A

Asbjoern Hoejmark | CTO | CCIE #8525
Wingmen Solutions A/S | Gyngemose Parkvej 50, 1. | DK-2860 Søborg | Denmark
M: +4525162108 | E: ah@wingmen.dk | W: www.wingmen.dk

Not if it's L2 only. With no ip routing turned on, you can't connect to any other interface than vlan 1.

At least, that's what I've witnessed so far. I reserve the right to be full of it!!!

You need to configure interface VLAN 10 something like this:

no int vlan 1

!

interface vlan 10

ip address ip-address mask

no shut

You may also need to configure a default gateway:

ip default-gateway gateway-ip-address

Peter

baileja
Level 1
Level 1

All 3550's are stocked with a Layer 3 image. Some enhanced, some not. Either way it doesnt matter. If you have routing turned off, you must shut down vlan 1 and enable vlan 10 (only one vlan can be functional at a time in a layer 2 switch). If routing is enabled, than it doesnt matter, but I would go ahead and shutdown vlan 1. Note, you must shut down VLAN1 before you no shutdown VLAN10 if you do not have "ip routing" turned on.

Interface VLAN 1

no ip address

shutdown

!

Interface VLAN 10

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

"no shutdown" <- command dont show in config

!

i try to emulate situation with management vlan :

3550---trunk802.1Q(vlan 800,700,900)-----4506

at 3550 4506 was entered all above mention command

but i added only vlan 10

there is another vlans 800.700.900 on both switch and they vlan added to trunk between them

vlan 10 did not add to trunk

and i wonder why i can ping each other switches with ip addresses under vlan 10 ?

sorry for stupid question