cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 MGMT vlan vs. Routed vlans

ncunnison
Level 1
Level 1

In the 3550 you setup the switch's internal management vlan via "Interface vlan x" and specify an ip address. However, you issue the exact same commands for a routed SVI/Vlan. How do you tell the switch which vlan is his internal management vlan, and which are layer 3 routed vlans??

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LIke in any other catalyst switch, VLAN 1 is the internal management VLAN. You create other VLAN interfaces to route between the VLANs

Thanks for that info. However, your managment vlan is vlan1 by default, it does not have to be vlan1. If you changed it to say vlan5, how does the cat 3550 know which vlan is his mgmt vlan? I thought there would be some sort of extra command, but I can't see any.

My organization did not use the default mgt vlan 1 either. We selected another vlan as our mgt vlan but all of our mgt vlans are using 10.x.x. (layer 2) non public ip address. They communicate because they are all using the same subnet a non public address on the same subnet. The other vlans are using a Class B & C addresses. There is a static route in our core Cisco7206 pointing to each device.

t.baranski
Level 4
Level 4

I've never come across a Cisco switch that differentiated between a "management" VLAN and a standard VLAN. If you don't want the switch to route to or from the management VLAN, I think you're stuck using access lists or policy routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: