Cisco Support Community
Community Member

3550 network crashes

I am new to cisco switching,

I have recently purchased 4 x 3550 24 PWR smi switches. i have followed the installation instructions and followed the web site manuals.

I have kept the switches out of the network for 2 weeks whilest i learn about them more.

I have recently moved the switches live and one of the switches is located in an area the has constant power failures. when that 1 switch cuts out the whole network crashes although the other three are working.

i have made a cluster of the 4 switches and made the main switch in the server room the command switch. I didnt make any vlans as yet and no other settings have really changed. so i have now removed all switches from the network again until i can get this working. I need to be able to have the network up and running if one of the switches fall out without the whole network crashing.

Please advise

Re: 3550 network crashes

Whats the topology of these switches? If there are loops in the network it may be a spanning tree issue. Make sure the switch in the server room is also the spanning tree root.

Can you duplicate the problem in your lab?

Community Member

It sounds to me like a spanning tree issue as well. One recommendation would be to have all your switch's on UPS power. It is a relativly cheap investment to protect your infastructure and save on downtime.

Community Member

I worked out the problem. It was so simple at teh end. one of the cross cables i had inplace was not crossed and it was causing a problem with the 3com switch that was on the other side of the network. it was causing all trafic to go through the one switch that i switched off. so i lost all but the servers and router.

CreatePlease to create content