cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Setup

administrator
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3550-24-EMI Switch that I want to use to segment off part of our network from the rest of the network so that those machines will not be affected by all the braodcasts, etc. The other network will need to be able to see the servers when necessary and vice versa. I was told by Cisco that this switch would be the best use of this configuration. The network will use the addrss scheme of 192.168.5.X and 192.168.6.X (3550 servers). Is there anyone who can point me to a document on how to address this configuration. I am a cisco novice.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

3550 is a layer 3 switch. So it has capability to route between subnets. You can put each subnet (5.x and 6.x) in their own broadcast domain (called a VLAN) and route between these vlans using the 3550 switch.

You can configure them by refering to following guide.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps646/c1069/ccmigration_09186a00800d6a25.pdf

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I was under the impression that you could do this as a routed port and not use VLAN's. Is it better to use the VLAN?

you can do both, when you want to use both subnets mixed on one switch you have to use vlans but when you take one switch hanging of a port of the 3550 you can put the ip address for the second range on that port.

It can fit both needs this way. When you need both subnets on the same switch (your 3550) on multiple ports you need to use vlans also.

Regards, Maarten Sjouw.

oddonepaolo
Level 1
Level 1

hy

you must put servers on a vlan (es. vlan 6) and clients on another vlan ( es vlan 5). so broadcast can't arrive to servers.

after to make intervlan routing, you must assign an ip addres to each vlan (es 192.168.6.1 to vlan 6 and 192.168.5.1 to vlan 5). finally you must use the ip address of the vlan as a default gateway for each ost in the vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: