Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Switch -Fiber interface VLAN question

hstockard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I will deploying two Cisco 3550 Switches and connecting them via a ordinary multimode fiber with GBIC 1000BASE-SX - transceivers installed on each switch. Here is my question: I will be configureing about half of the ports on each of the switches to be in one of two VLANS. I would like to configure the two vlans to run over the single fiber line. Is is possible to configure one fiber port, with the GBIC 1000BASE-SX - transceiver installed, with two vlans and/or subinterfaces each with half of the 1000mb of bandwidth, or will I need to run an additional fiber line connected to the second fiber interface on the 3550 to accomplish this. I really hope not to as I don't have the funds to run a second line at this time. If this configuration is possible could someone please point me to documentation on how to configure this and\or give some advice. Thank you.

Regards,

JPS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just set up the link as a trunk , this allows you to send as many vlans across that link as you want . On each side just do the following.

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk mode dynamic desirable

Verify trunk status with the "show int trunk " command.

More info at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803a9af5.html#wp1200245

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just set up the link as a trunk , this allows you to send as many vlans across that link as you want . On each side just do the following.

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk mode dynamic desirable

Verify trunk status with the "show int trunk " command.

More info at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803a9af5.html#wp1200245

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

JPS