Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Switch with SMI image

mdavar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have SMi Image in 3550. I have defined ip address to the loopback0. ip default gateway has been also defined, which is a router. I haven't created any Vlan.

Problem is I am not able to Ping/Telnet the Switch. But I am able to reach the other devices which are connected to the switch .

Can you suggest me how can I telnet to switch without creating Vlan.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I don't known this product very well, but can you try to assign a IP to the VLAN interface?

Andrea.

Accessing thru a switch by TELNET can be done with IP address on VLAN1 interface. This is called as MANAGEMENT IP address and VLAN1 is default VLAN. If you set this address from the same network as switch ports belong, you can access it via all terminals on this network. Otherwise you should define a management VLAN and use a routing module in order to access it from different VLANs.

Hi Andrea,

Thanks a lot for the response. I don't want to give ip address to the vlan1. As in this case I'll have to put all the ports in the same network or will have to use routing module, which I don't want.

I have understood that this is possible if I upgrade it to EMI image, which again don't want to, as i'll have to upgrade my switch.

Please advice and thanks again for your time.

VLAN 1 does not need to be management VLAN. You can make any VLAN interface the management by using "management" keyword under the vlan interface.

Example

interface vlan 99

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

management

This will make VLAN 99 the management interface. Also the following page on CCO should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/8.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: