cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 trunking & Colt ADVA lanlinks

jjnetworks
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone had any issues with trunking vlans across a COLT provided 100meg line in the UK. Config works fine in the lab, but not across the COLT link

3 Replies 3

bbranch
Level 3
Level 3

I have had problems in the past when the Metro carrier was aggregating 100Mb customer links on an Ethernet switch in front of the DWDM box, as a result their switch port was set up as a non-trunking port. It might be worth checking with Colt to make sure they are not doing something similar.

You can always verify this with an analyser by breaking out the trunk port in the lab scenario and capturing encapsulated packets, either ISL or 802.1q, and then implementing the switches on the LAN link and comparing the traffic against the previous capture. If you are no longer receiving the encapsulated packets that you are expecting you can PROVE that there is a problem with the carrier by delivering the delta of the traces. They are not transparently forwarding your traffic.

Its definatly the COLT ADVA since it works back to back. The only way I'm going to get an analyser is to hire one!

I would agree the they are not transparently forwarding the traffic. Can't believe they have not seen this before