Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

3560 L3 - DHCP Server and IP addressing

Hi,

I?ve got 4x 3560 L2/L3 Switches and one subnet 192.168.1.0\24. The DHCP server will assign IP address to the Clients. The 3560 will be doing Layer 3 routing between it?s gigabit links using OSPF. IP helper address obviously pointing to the DHCP server.

I am not sure how two configure the 4x 3560 and the DHCP server to use the one subnet. I do not want to divide the subnet in to 4 and have a subnet size of 62 when I only need 48 client addresses. I will have problem when a 5th 3560 came. How can I complete the configuration using only one IP scope spanned over 4x 3560? What is a good IP addressing scheme.

1 REPLY

Re: 3560 L3 - DHCP Server and IP addressing

Hi,

All you need to do is create a vlan for this subnet and make sure all the switches know about it - then put all the hosts for this subnet into this vlan. That way you can spead hosts in this subnet across all 4 switches.

However, you would need to change your switch links to trunks to accomplish this - if layer 3 routing between this switches is a requirement then you'll have to subnet into 4 x /26.

HTH

Andrew.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content