cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 layer 3 switch and multicast routing for phone software

sboivin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 switch that does my routing for my 5 vlans. We use a desktop application for our non-cisco ip phones that use multicast to talk to each other. What i need is to configure multicast routing between vlans, the ip is 239.194.0.0 port 58526. I have never used multicast routing so i am pretty clueless on how to set up.

4 Replies 4

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

pretty much you need to enable ip multicast routing, and PIM on each of the interface vlan. So, in a nutshell:

conf t

ip multicast routing

interface vlan 1

ip pim sparse-dense mode

and do the same for the rest of the interface vlan. With your description this is all you need. There are no other router so no need to worry about RP. 3560 have IGMP Snooping enabled for L2 mcast switching as well.

My switch does not understand the ip pim command at any level .

You where 100% correct, only thing else i needed to do is upgrade my ios to c3560-ipservices-mz.122.25.SEE.bin and everything worked fine. Thanks alot!!

If you were running the SI or IP Base image and you have upgraded to the IP Services image there is a license cost to pay.....

I don't think Cisco will think to highly of you if you just installed the IP Services IOS image without paying for it. It's not cheap neither.

The IP Base does not support IP Multicast routing - it does support IGMP Snooping but the forwarding of multicast between VLAN's requires either the IP Services image or it must be done by an external router.

HTH

And