Helpful
Replies

3560 Static Routing Problem - MOST URGENT- Please help

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

I have got a 3560 SMI Switch.

However whenever I configure Static Routes on switch and try finding the same by the command sh ip route static, I never see an entry.

Is it that switch is having some issue or its normal behavior?

Looking forward from all of you to rescue.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You must enable ip routing with "ip routing" regardless of static routing or otherwise. The only thing that works without it is: "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x"

HTH pls rate!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

please post some config or at least show ip route output.

is ip routing enabled? is this SMI version capable of ip routing?

if your device is capable of ip routing and it is enabled and you put in a valid static route, then yes, you should see that route in the showIProute output.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I havent given the command IP Routing yet.

However SMI is capable of RIP and static routing but all I require is Static Routing.

Further more the config guide on cisco.com says the IP routing command needs to be enabled only when one requires Dynamic Routing.

I have also attached the config for your kind information.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi Sam,

i couldn't see router eigrp . it will get enabled only if "ip routing" is enabled.

eg.

ip routing

router eigrp 4444

network 10.0.0.0

hope this helps.

rate this post.

Hi Anand,

My issue is that I want to enable Static Routing and the commands have been entered into the configs.

However I can't see the same routes in the sh ip route output. This has brought some confusions.

Kindly advice,

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Check to see if the next hop in your static route is up. If it's not, the route won't be installed in the routing table even though it's configured.

Gary

You must enable ip routing with "ip routing" regardless of static routing or otherwise. The only thing that works without it is: "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x"

HTH pls rate!

Thanks everyone.

I have tried enabling the IP Routing but the moment I issue this command the switch becomes inaccessible via the Telnet (I'm sitting at a different site) even though the IP address that I'm using to connect is on VLAN-1 and the switch is connected to the network using Trunk Port.

Regards,

Wilson SAmuel

That is because it has not route back after you issued the command. Once you do " ip routing" you default gateway must be derived from " ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x" command and "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x" is no longer used. Thus no gateway, no work.

Hey MMorris11,

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Infact, all I did is that this I made an interface member of VLAN-1 and then gave the command IP Routing and it worked!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

PS: Those who read the Cisco Config guides are advised to take an expert opinion before they try anything new, as at times the config guides are bit difficult to interpret correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: