cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3620 RAS/ CLient not authenticating PAP

bud.nelson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3620 w/NW12DM mica modems, channelized T using PPP. Works fine except with Zoom 2949L (Lucent chipset) external 56K v.34 modems which fail to respond to the routers outbound CONFREQ (PAP). I have tried reconfiguring the client workstation to use only PAP, only CHAP, only MS-CHAP and various permutations of the above. The clients that can access the RAS use ZOOM 56K USB modems (Model 3090) and various PCMCIA cards. All the clients have the DUNS configured the same. Any ideas ?

6 Replies 6

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

When you say fails to respond to CONFREQ (PAP) do you mean it CONFREJ PAP during LCP nego or the 3620 does not see any incomming lcp packets from the dialup client in response to it's lcp out packets.

1)Using the same PC & a different modem (same vendor & different vendor)can we connect?

2)Since all other modems connect, will be interesting to see the following on the 3620 when Zoom 2949L dials.

deb modem / deb modem csm / deb ppp nego / deb cas or deb isdn q931

Also need to enable ppp logging on the client , the procedure will depend on the OS on the clinet.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;kbinfo

& enter "how to enable ppp logging" after choosing the OS.

Thanks, Mak.

Mak, The 3620 does not see any incoming LCP packets in response to LCP out.

If I swap modems on the same machine I connect OK. I will try to configure PPP logging o the client, PPP debug just shows no inbound LCP.

thanks.

Does the same problem happen if we replace the Zoom 2949L with another identical modem? If no, there it's this bad modem. If yes, then I would thing there is some init string or setting that needs to be done on the Zoom....The vendor should have some quick suggestion for us.

Thanks, Mak.

The problem definitely follows the type of modem, we discovered that turning on error correction and flow control in the WIndows DUN dialer solves the problem. I would prefer to change config on 1 router rather than on 150 + stores. So far Zoom has not rsponded to my questions.

Zoom has forwarded an AT command string, is there any way I can add this to the modemcap DB rather than change 150 + modems ?

Do we have only these Zoom modems dialing in? If we change the modemcap to cater to Zoom modems there are chances we will run into some issue (maybe) with the other modem types that are connecting fine now.

Thanks, Mak.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: