Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3620 Router For Internal Routing !!

Hi Sir, first of all thanks for your kind assistance. I have the following queries, please help out;

(1) I have a 3620 router with 3 ethernet ports meant for internal server routing purpose, say I have a subnetA (Class A) network , subnetB(Class B) network and subnetC(Class C) network at which each network is connected to each individual ethernet port of the 3620 by a switch, all my network clients are pointing to their respective gateway (ethernet port of 3620).

I tested ready and by default I am able to ping the three networks at any clients of the network. Is it true that by default the router will do the IP packet routing among the different networks without adding in any route ?

Is it true that if I use the router only for internal server routing, I don't have to add in any static or dynamic routing ?

Please help out.

4 REPLIES

Re: 3620 Router For Internal Routing !!

of course it's true.

when you configure the ip @ of one ethernet port, the router adds automatically to its routing table a new entry.

so the router built the routing table by its self only for directly connected networks (not remote networks)

however if your LANs r very important, u should use a layer 3 switch and not a router because it could be a slow solution. layer 3 switches r more suitable.

so check for cpu usage of your router and be sure it is not over used.

Hi Sir thanks for your advice. If iam thinking of using a layer3 switch instead of a router, what model of Cisco Switch is suitable in this case ? Do I need to configure any VLANs for all the three different subnets ? How do I configure the routing among the three subnets.

Is there any configuration sample foe such scenerio ?

Please help out.

As long as you have IP routing enabled, the router will route between the three connected subnets without you having to add any routes.

If this router is to be used for only routing between the three ethernet segments connected to it, you won't need to configure any static or dynamic routing. However, if you need to the router to forward traffic to any network that is not directly connected, you will have to configure some kind of routing (either static or dynamic)

Hope this helps...

yes,

the routing protocol used to exchange the route information and how to building the routing table.either the static and dynamic .

Views
Helpful
Replies