cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 FE routing throughput...

jhbaltes
Level 1
Level 1

this may be a foolish question, but i have installed a 3640 with 2 single port FE network modules. i have this routing between wireless wan links with the radios running 45mbps full duplex. never seen the throughput go any higher than 11mbps on the router ports. can anyone explain this or offer advice.? when the links are bridged together, i seem to get the full speed of the radios... router has 96mb RAM and running ip/ipx ios 12.x IOS.

4 Replies 4

navasil
Level 1
Level 1

From my experience, I have performance problem on 3640 router with 2Mbps*2WANs and 1 FE (ISL trunking). Packet is getting loss (randomly) when the traffic reach 10-15 Mbps. The problem is gone after I replace it with 3660.

run cef on the 3640. mine went from 99% cpu at 20 Mbps to 65% cpu at 90 Mbps. This is between two FE interfaces, each in a differnt vlan. No trunking,

bridging, or any thing configured.

that sounds exactly like what I need. i was not sure if i was unable to generate enough traffic or what, but was sure something was amiss. cpu hit was very high while i was testing also, something like 85 to 90%. what about the ipx though - CEF (i believe) is IP only.? thanks.

CEF is indeed for IP only. Native IPX can only be fast-switched or process-switched.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: