Helpful
Replies

3640 IOS upgrade, not enough space

Armegeden
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

In a bit of a hurry here...

We have a 3640 router and we're upgrading the IOS. We've cleared the flash: and now have about 16MB free, the problem is the IOS we're trying to load is 17MB.

Any ideas? MUST we get the memory expansion? Or is there a way to, say, take out the HTML content in the IOS BIN itself? Or some other way of compressing or reducing the size?

Please respond asap, if possible.

Thanx!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

your image appears to be the IP Plus feature pack:

Software Feature Sets: IP PLUS

Platform: 3640

File name: c3640-is-mz.123-17.bin

Min. Memory (MB): 96

Min. Flash (MB): 32

Date Released: 28-NOV-2005

In order to use this image, you would need 32MB of flash...

What features are you actually using, and how much DRAM do you have ?

Regards,

GP

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I have never heard of a way to strip individual files off an image. If you have more than 16MB on different partitions, you could combine that, or, as you mentioned yourself, get more flash on a PCMCIA (e.g. a 20MB PCMCIA card).

What is the image name you want to install anyway ?

Regards,

GP

Thanx for the quick response, GP

The IOS we're going to is c3640-is-mz.123-17.bin

We don't have an extra PCMCIA memory card handy, so I was hoping to get this to work somehow. Guess it's not going to tonight :(

Is there a non-enterprise version or something? A stripped down version without HTML addons?

Hello,

your image appears to be the IP Plus feature pack:

Software Feature Sets: IP PLUS

Platform: 3640

File name: c3640-is-mz.123-17.bin

Min. Memory (MB): 96

Min. Flash (MB): 32

Date Released: 28-NOV-2005

In order to use this image, you would need 32MB of flash...

What features are you actually using, and how much DRAM do you have ?

Regards,

GP

Kind of new to the WAN side, but as far as I know nothing special. EIGRP, BGP, VLAN, no IP6.

I'll ask the higher-ups if there are other IOS's they would be willing to use that have less features that would work also.

How did you find the info on that particular IOS? I couldn't find the Readme on it.

Thanx again, GP

Hello,

I actually just searched the IOS download page for the specs, but there also is a tool that lets you type in the image name and then gives you all the memory requirements, as well as the supported features. You do need a certain privilege level though to access that tool, here is the link (you will get prompted for a username and password):

Software Advisor

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/srimage.do

Regards,

GP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: