Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

3640 , ip accounting turned on. Fully switched network.

Question.

I have a fully switched network at a remote site . They are complaining of poor response time and even timing out the AS/400 connection.

Recently they have introduced a backbone puredata switch which my 3640 router is plugged into.

The router is showing lots of collisions and deffered packets.

The pure data switch is showing fcs and alignment errors.

I used the web browser to connect to it but couldn't. I telneted and we noticed that the default gateway for the switch was a pix f/all on site.

I talked with people here and they had me turn off the ICMP redirects on the ethernet port of the router.

I then was able to make the switch believe his default gateway was my router and now I am able to use a web browser to look at the stats.

Due to the response time complaints I have also turned on IP accounting on the ethernet port on the 3620 router.

When I do a show ip accounting . I see destinations to the internet from a source internal ip. Which I would expect , however they are high and a lan person is telling me I should not see this. That once the session from the PC to the internet is established the pc then talks to the f/wall and not my routers ethernet port therefore I should see very small bytes for internet traffic is this true.

I think that since there is no vlans set up. all traffic is directed to my router since that is the PC's default route and my router directs it to the f/all.

Someone else suggested that it is because I turned off the ICMP redirects.

Can someone shed some light on this for me.

tks

Ann Marie Harper

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 3640 , ip accounting turned on. Fully switched network.

Ann Marie

FCS and aliginment errors are usually a duplex mismatch . Is one of the boxes using auto negotiation ? did you check the duplex settings ?

Community Member

It was set to auto neg , I have advised them it should be hard coded.

Does anyone know the answer to my IP acctounting question.

The lan group is saying that since I am in a totally switched network my router should not see the traffic is this true.

Silver

anne marie

When you hard code it you must reset the ports and or interface you are changing ,

As for the ip accounting , Since the Pix needs to send the traffic through the router to reach the internet you will see this traffic in IP accounting

Community Member

So let me see if I am understanding this correctly.

If I have a server on the local segment and a pc on the local segment then if the pc talks to the server to get files or whatever he will bypass the router.

But if the PC wants to browse , download etc to the internet he talks to the firewall directly after the orginal path is establish, but the f/wall always send to the router back.

Why is this??

Then this has nothing to do with a switched or a non switched network.

or with me turning off the ICMP redirects.

I think you should just give me your phone # so I can pick your brain.

Silver

send ma an e-mail deilert@att.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content