Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3640 Modem Dial in with Telnet Privileges

I have a 3640 router setup for modem dial-in through a T1 interface. Remote users use MS Dial-up Networking to establish PPP connections. I would like to also offer a way to dial in from a terminal (e.g. Hyperterminal) to the 3640, get to an exec prompt, then be able to start a telnet session to internal servers.

I'm able to set a low privilege level on the line so the user can't view the router's config, but I don't know how to give them privieges to use telnet.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 3640 Modem Dial in with Telnet Privileges

You could use the following approach:

privilege exec level 10 telnet

user foo privilege 10 password bar

line 0 X

transport preferred none

No luck. I am using radius for authentication on the dial. I can add the privilege of telnet, so a user dialin in to a command prompt can telnet out, but what I really need is privilege level 0 on the line. This pares down the cmd prompt access and allows telnet, but no PPP dial connections fail. Tried adding that, see below, with no luck.

privilege exec level 0 telnet

privilege exec level 0 ppp

line 33 56

privilege level 0

Is there a way to add the right privileges to level 0 to get the ppp dialin to work?

Thanks,

Howie

Bronze

By default, you don't need to change the privilege of telnet for users to telnet. If you want to restrict certain users from being able to telnet, then you need to *increase* the telnet privilege, and to assign that privilege to whichever users should be able to telnet.

As for your problem above, I could not reproduce it; users connect, are assigned a privilege of 0, and can either telnet or do PPP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content