cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 RIP2 Subnets not posted in route table correctly

nnorthedge
Level 1
Level 1

I think this problem is with the other router sending the broadcast to my 3640, but to cover all the bases, here is the problem. Runniing RIP2, with no auto-summary on the 3640. The routing table on the far end shows a subnet of 192.168.6.128/26. When the 3640 gets it, the result in the routing table is: 192.168.6.0/26. I can not get to any 192.168.6.128 nodes with out adding a static route. Any one seen this or have suggestions?

5 Replies 5

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

On both routers turn on debug ip rip (also debug ip rip events for fun) to see what is being sent and what is being received and from who. Check the mask and who is sending what.

Let us know what you find.

Steve

Unfortunately, the non-cisco router does not have a debug capability. I have run the debug on the cisco 3640 and see the network being received incorrectly. (other router has 192.168.6.128/26, debug on the Cisco receives 192.168.6.0/26 and this is what gets into the Cisco routing table.

Similar subnetted addresses have no problem between two Cisco 3640's on a serial link. Just the other router on a fasteth connection. This is why I 'assume" the problem is the other routing device. I could not find any thing in the bug listing, either.

Norman

If the 3640 is receiving the wrong subnet, it is the non cisco router that is the problem, and that's what I would focus on. Is it running version 2 as well?

Steve

Yes, RIP2. Several of these routers are all running RIP2. the Subnets internally for those routers are fine. Just seems to be the hand off to the Cisco. Cisco RIP2 broadcasts are received and processed correctly by the other routers.

As in most cases, they are pointing the finger at me and saying their stuff is fine. (Can't be our fault!) Nice to get a second opinion. Thanks,

Norman

You may also put a sniffer on between them to see what is in the packets. If the route if what the 3640 sees, plus the debug ip rip - can't have more proof than that.

Hope it helps

Steve