Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3661 - 1720 compression

I've just converted all of our WAN from 3Com gear to Cisco. The hub is a 3661 with multiple T-1s coming in and the far end sites are 1720s, mainly T-1s but a couple 56Ks also.

On the 3Com gear I could enable compression (software)on a per-packet basis. Is there a way on the Cisco gear to do the same thing?, software compression of any kind or do I need to look at a hatdwar solution?

Thanks,

George

george.taylor@bannerhealth.com

605-644-4462

2 REPLIES

Re: 3661 - 1720 compression

George,

There are several software compression techniques available, depending on the encapsulation that you are using. I'm not sure what you mean by "per-packet basis" though. The only way I have ever implemented compression was done per interface.

Re: 3661 - 1720 compression

I think I found what I needed, but the numbers from show compress don't look right.

3Com called it per-packet, Cisco it's configuring the interface-frame-relay-payload-compression and I used FRF9 stac. There was an option to go "packet-by-packet", I tried that first and lost SPX connectivity, basically couldn't see any of my Netware boxes on the other side.

when I look at the numbers and do the math from show_compress.html on Cisco's site I come up with a ratio of approx. 2.7, works for me!! But what the ratios on the command output say is basically 0, about .001 or so. I timed several screen updates on telnet sessions and they improved dramatically and just by the "feel" of an rconsole I can tell there is a big difference, the numbers must simply be wrong or I'm reading them wrong.

Thanks,

George

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content