Views
Helpful
Replies

36xx Router, Problem serial back-to-back connection

ize0213
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I tried to connect two 3662 Router serial back-to-back together. I used on both sides NM-4T and IOS 12.1(5)T12. One router connected a serial DCE-Cable, one with a serial DTE-Cable. I set the clock rate and keepalive were on. But on both sides "Line up, Protocol down". Any ideas???

Best regards, Martin

10 Replies 10

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

You will not need to set the keepalive , it is 10 sec by default, do a sh controllers on both sides to ensure that the router beleives it is connected to the right kind of cable

sh controllers is OK, DEC and DTE.

Regards, Martin

gschertz
Level 1
Level 1

Have you set a protocol to use? ppp, hdlc, ect? You have connetivity.

The clock rate you set on the dce end. Then specify the protocol type

You probably have done this but you could try it again:

- use different serial port combinations from the two 3660s.

- use another cable pair, or probably isolate one cable at a time.

HTH.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Could you post the configuration from both DCE & DTE sides ?

Jorge Rodriguez

preston
Level 1
Level 1

Be sure the clocksource is set to line on one and network on the other...just a hunch

ramesh.krishnan
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

when you connect back to back, there should be a clock source. pls make one of the devices to generate the clock for the circuit. put any of them on an "internal" clock and the rest on "external".

Ramesh

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

can you post the sh interface and the config from both sides please

Hi all,

after changing the chassis everything works fine. Obviously the chassis had a defect, but it was working with other NM-Modules - strange, isn't ist?

Thanks for all replys, best regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: