Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k
lee

3750 12.2(25r)SEB & Broadcom cards = speed/duplex issue?

Hi,

I have a 3750 running 12.2(25r)SEB (image file is c3750-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEB2.bin).

We currently have a handful of new Dell boxes with Broadcom Nextreme 5700 gigabit network cards in them connected to the switch which seem to have a problem running at forced speed 100 duplex full set on both client and switch side.

The switchports don't have anything amazing in their config, simply:

switchport access vlan 125

speed 100

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

We have proven that other types of network cards dont have a problem, one being an Intel card we have in a HP DL360.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows of any issues with this code regarding the problem I'm having.

Comments welcome.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES
Purple

Re: 3750 12.2(25r)SEB & Broadcom cards = speed/duplex issue?

Sounds like a bug if both sides are configured right. checked for any on cco that may relate but didn't see anything . you may have to open a case or look at the broadcom website for any info.

lee

I was slightly leaning towards it being a Broadcom issue because we have no issues with the Intel card and a random laptop we used aswell...

VIP Purple

Hello,

there is a bug that might relate to your problem:

Problem Description:

Link connectivity may be lost on some of the ports of Catalyst 2970, 3560, and 3750

10/100/1000 interfaces when connected to some older Gigabit NIC cards.

This problem happens when connected to the following interfaces at 10Mbps/100Mbps:

3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20,23,24 on the xxxx-24T-E and xxxx-24T-S

3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20 on the xxxx-24TS-E and xxxx-24TS-S

Symptoms:

The interface is up/up, but Data connectivity is lost

Workaround:

1. Contact the NIC vendor to obtain a driver upgrade.

2. Connect the NIC to an interface not listed above.

3. Configure the interface for 1000Mbps instead of 10/100Mbps.

Can you check if that applies to you ?

Regards,

GP

lee

I believe the interface doesnt even get to up/up, on the client side (Windows XP) it shows as no connection and the switch can't see anything.

Apparently the drivers have been upgraded to the latest released and we NEED to run full/100 on both sides t comply with the application's reccomendations.

I also tried it on port 1 to see if it made any difference, and it didnt.

cheers.

There was a feature added to the Cat IOS to allow certain NIC's to negotiate correctly:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdz32789

You can configure "speed auto 100" and "duplex full" and leave the NIC at auto. This should correctly negotiate 100/Full due to the way the autonegotiation works with this new feature.

HTH

Andy

lee

Hi Andy,

I will give this a try but I'm not sure if this clears my problem..

I was under the impression that if the NIC or switch is using an auto setting under either speed or duplex then this will have to be negotiated on every transaction between the NIC and switch thus causing more overhead? Please correct me if this isnt correct.

Many thanks for your help.

AFAIAA, the negotiation takes place only when the link comes up, and not on every transaction. There should be no overhead during normal operation.

You might find some useful information in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml

It does say about negotiation "You must either enable or disable link negotiation on both ends of the link."

Does this help?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

lee

Not yet..

At the moment we have the PC's set to auto/auto.. and the switchport set to 100/full and I get the port show as up/up duplex full speed 100 (when I do a sh int status).

Even though this indercates that we have negotiated correctly, isn't that a duplex mismatch?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content