Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3750 and fiber Issue

I have a WS3750g-12s running IOS ver 12.5(25)SEB2. I have 9 ports configured as routed

ports, 8 of which goto seperate IDF's. The ninth port I want to use as an uplink to my

Firebox X2500. The problem is the 3750 has all fiber ports and the Firebox has all

RJ-45. I purchased a glc-fe-100fx tranciever and a CyberXLinkj CXL3M1-2 Media converter to connect the two. The twisted pair half of the media converter lights up fine however the FX side of the media converter is unlit. I tried turning off the auto negotiate property under the Cisco's port speed config but this made no difference. I than tried other media in the port. Plugging in a GLC-SX-MM into the same port and connecting the other end to one of my 3560-48's fiber port gives an almost immediate link light (portfast) on both devices. I then tried the glc-fe-100fx all by itself, and the when I plug it in I get the following error from the switch:

"gbic-invalid error detected on gb0/12, putting gb0/12 in err-disable state"

I get this error in any gbic on any of my Cisco's. Cisco documentation says that this error indicates a bad SFP, but this was bought new less than a month ago. Is there anything else I should check before assuming this is a bad SFP?

Thanks,

Dave

1 REPLY
Green

Re: 3750 and fiber Issue

The GIG-E Gbics will never talk to a Fast Ethernet fiber connection. There is no "AutoNegotiate" (for speed anyway) for fiber.

They use different frequencies and signaling (10 vs 100 vs Gig)

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content