Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 as Core Switch

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi There,

I have an environment where I got a 4507R acting as a core switch, the problem I have here is that it's a single point of failure and there's no budget for buying a second device for FO. On the other hand, I have an additional 3750 switch which I'd like to utilize if that is appropriate.

1- Is it possible to configure the 3750 switch in the same HSRP group with the 4507 switch to act as a secondary switch in case of the 4507 failure?

2- If the 4507 switch failed for any reason, do you think the 3570 will be able to temporarely handle the traffic and fit well in this position?

Regards,

Haitham

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

What do u mean by the same HSRP group on 4507&3750..?

For HSRP to function both interfaces should have to be in the same standby group.If u use different groups they will not identify eachother.

I think 3750 will able to handle the traffic if its not heavy.

Thanks

Mahmood

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

yes you can take it in use for the temporarely use and you can also configure the HSRP on the both the switch...and you can confiugre the 3750 as standby router by configuring the low priority than the 4507 in HSRP configuration...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

YES, it can handle very well(not fully) bcoz 4507-R has got backplane capacity of 64Gbps & where as 3750 has got only 32Gbps, becuase i am having the core switch as 6509 & the standby switch as 3750 & i am being using it for the past 6 months without any probs, as devan said, YES on both the switches HSRP should be on the same group