Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

3750 config help/etherchannel??

Hello all,

I have a newbie question relating to a WS-C3750G-24TS which is running 12.2(25)SEB2.

I want to setup a management port but do not want any traffic (except management) from the switch to go out on to my LAN.

The 3750 will be connected to a 4506 solely for management.

Also, I have 20 servers running at GIG that will be sending TONS traffic to and from one another which will be connected

to the 3750.

Is etherchannel the best way to go? Would a private vlan keep all of the traffic local to the switch?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Elise

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: 3750 config help/etherchannel??

Little vague on what you are saying . You want a separate vlan to manage your switches and then you another vlan for your servers on your 3750 ? If so then just setup a trunk between the 4506 and the 3750 . If you feel one connection from the 4506 to the 3750 is not enough to handle all the traffic then you can aggregate the trunks across multiple links using etherchannel and trunk combination , the traffic is then allocated across the links in a fairly even pattern either using the ip addresses as the algorithim or the mac addresses whichever you choose , not sure off the top of my head which is the default.

Gold

it *sounds* like he will have a 3750 with servers plugged into that dont need to talk to anything outside of that switch, but he still wants to be able to get to the switch purely for management. is that right?

You dont need a private vlan.

you can add the 3750 to the same VTP domain, add a VLAN to which all the switch ports on the 3750 will belong, and just dont route to them. eg dont configure a vlan interface for that particular vlan (if that's how you route between vlans). if no other switches will have ports in that vlan, you can even prune that vlan. on the 3750 assign an IP to the vlan1 interface, and this will be your management IP used to access the switch. trunk the 3750 to the 4500. so long as data traffic doesn't leave the 3750, one cable should suffice (unless you need redundancy, then use two trunks, or etherchannel).

Thank you for responding. Yes, all of the machines will be connected to this 3750. We have two core 6513s which do our routing. Are you suggesting that I made this switch part of the network's VTP domain...and create a vlan at layer 2 on one of our core 6513s? or...just create the vlan on the 3750 itself and put a port on vlan1 for management.

Thanks again,

Elise

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content