Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 mac-address-aging timer

ccobtn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'm trying to change mac-address timers but having problems, i.e the change I’m trying to change mac-address-aging timers but having problems, i.e. the change only applies to existing active vlans. if i add new vlan after changing mac-address-aging timer it will have default value 300. Is this way it works or I’m missing something?

3750-sw-1(config)#mac-ad aging-time 1300

3750-sw-1#sh mac-ad ag

Vlan Aging Time

---- ----------

10 1300

20 1300

30 1300

3750-sw-1#! Now adding a new vlan

3750-sw-1#conf t

3750-sw-1(config)#vlan 40

3750-sw-1 (config-vlan

3750-sw-1#sh mac-ad ag

Vlan Aging Time

---- ----------

10 1300

20 1300

30 1300

40 300

New vlan 40 has default value????

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you don't want the default then yes you will have to specify everytime you create a new vlan what you want the timer to be .

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Just checked the command reference. In the usage guidelines it states:

Usage Guidelines

If hosts do not send continuously, increase the aging time to record the dynamic entries for a longer time. Increasing the time can reduce the possibility of flooding when the hosts send again.

If you do not specify a specific VLAN, this command sets the aging time for all VLANs.

The last sentence is relevant to your question. The command may also be issued on a particular vlan.

New vlans are created after setting this parameter globally will hence be using the default values.

The key issue to check if this is a bug or not is to check whether the global command is reflected in the config. If it was, I would call the issue a bug.

As it is not, you must approach this as a parameter that can (and should) be set per vlan. After creating a new vlan, you may add this line in the script or re-issue the global command.

Regards,

Leo

It does appear to be a bug in 3750(tested in 6500 and 4500 and did not see this behavior). I did a quick search and did not find one. So I suggest that you open a TAC case and email me the TAC SR Number.

Hi,

Cisco TAC have confirmed this as Bug.

Bug ID:coCSCsc43130-3750 Cannot change default mac-address aging time

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: