Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3750 stack IOS version / upgrade problems

Hi,

I am playing around with 3750 stacks and the IOS versions they are running and trying to get them to do what the docs say.

In particular I have added a switch to a stack with a minor compatability error IOS. I would of expected the stack manager to find a valid .bin file with the correct IOS and uprgaded the IOS to the right version, but it didn't. So on the stack I used the "archive tar /create" command to create a tar file and tried again but it still didn't work.

Separately I have been trying to upgrade an entire stack to a new IOS using the "archive download-sw" command.

I first create a tar file from another stack using the "archive tar /create" and put this on my tftp server.

Next I used "archive download-sw /overwrite /reload" command to tftp it to the stack I was trying to upgrade.

When I do this the stack loads the tar file from the tftp server twice then I get the below error message

examining image...

extracting info (579 bytes)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

Any ideas

Regards

Chris Ayres

3 REPLIES

Re: 3750 stack IOS version / upgrade problems

Make sure that the image is the right one, if you are trying to archive a bin file, it will fail. If you are sure and confirmed that the image is indeed a .tar file. Make sure that the TFTP server is not the problem. You can try uploading the running config to the TFTP server and see if that will b successful. I have seen many times that the archive times out and then give error such as follows:

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

Roberto,

I have progressed a bit with this since I posted the question.

Instead of using the "archive tar /create" the tar I am using the "archive upload" to archive it directly to the tftp server. I can then use the "archive download" to copy the archive onto the stack I want to upgrade and it works OK.

I am still having problems getting the stack to automatically recognise that a newly installed switch has a minor version error and to automatcally upgrade the IOS.

If I tftp the tar file that I created above onto the stack and then install a new switch I get a message saying that a suitable file has been found and that I can use the

"archive download-sw /destination-system 2 flash1:c3750-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.tar" command to upgrade the switch.

But I cannot get it to do it automatically

Instead of using the "archive tar /create" the tar I am using the "archive upload" to archive it directly to the tftp server. I can then use the "archive download" to copy the archive onto the stack I want to upgrade and it works OK.

>>>you're allright and approve your procedure.

I am still having problems getting the stack to automatically recognise that a newly installed switch has a minor version error and to automatcally upgrade the IOS.

>>> The best way is to designate the highest priority number to the switch having the good IOS in a stack. This way you could ensure that the added switch will not be elected as master and then will receive the IOS of the Master you've already designated.

Command: switch [number] priority [1-15]

15 is the highest priority. The switch having 15 as the priority number will be elected and relected as the stack master!

If I tftp the tar file that I created above onto the stack and then install a new switch I get a message saying that a suitable file has been found and that I can use the

"archive download-sw /destination-system 2 flash1:c3750-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.tar" command to upgrade the switch.

But I cannot get it to do it automatically

>> You've not to do it manually.

Mohamed BEN HASSINE

Views
Helpful
Replies