Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

3750 stacking questions (2)

My first questin has to do with the Console port in a stack. It has been observed that the console port on the master switch is designated "Con 0". So my question is how do I access the other con ports on member switches to configure them?

The second question is what is the mechanism for statically numbering all of the switches in a stack so they are always numbered the way I configure them to be ie in case of some disaster or power outage I need to know that switch 5 will come back as switch 5 even if switches 1-4 do not come back to life.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: 3750 stacking questions (2)

1. When you connect via a console cable to any of the switches in a stack you always access the stack master. The stack master is the only switch that can be used to configure the stack and its members. Assuming you have a stack of two 48 port (10/100/1000) switches; switch 1 is the master and switch 2 is a stack member. If you want to configure ports on switch2 you just use the appropriate port numbers (int gig 2/0/1 to 2/0/52). If for some reason you need console access to a stack member you can use the 'session ' command; however, do keep in mind that this access will be limited to only show and debug commands. All configuration is done via the stack master.

2. You can renumber a switch to ensure that it always retains the same number by using the 'stack renumber ' command. For example to renumber switch 2 in a stack to 3 you will use 'switch 2 renumber 3' global configuration command.

The following URL has great information on how to manage switch stacks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008050245f.html#wp1170757

7 REPLIES
Silver

1. When you connect via a console cable to any of the switches in a stack you always access the stack master. The stack master is the only switch that can be used to configure the stack and its members. Assuming you have a stack of two 48 port (10/100/1000) switches; switch 1 is the master and switch 2 is a stack member. If you want to configure ports on switch2 you just use the appropriate port numbers (int gig 2/0/1 to 2/0/52). If for some reason you need console access to a stack member you can use the 'session ' command; however, do keep in mind that this access will be limited to only show and debug commands. All configuration is done via the stack master.

2. You can renumber a switch to ensure that it always retains the same number by using the 'stack renumber ' command. For example to renumber switch 2 in a stack to 3 you will use 'switch 2 renumber 3' global configuration command.

The following URL has great information on how to manage switch stacks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008050245f.html#wp1170757

Thanks for the reply. My goal was to basically lock down the console ports. For instance put timeout configurations in.If I can't configure the member console ports via the "session" command how should I do this?

Silver

Like I mentioned earlier no matter what console you connect to (be it console of master switch or any member) you will always be accessing the stack master. So just configure time-out settings for the console of the master switch and you are good to go. It will automatically apply to all console sessions.

That doesn't seem to be what I am experiencing. Timeouts configured for Con 0 seem to only apply to the console port on the master switch.

Silver

I will double check that in the lab myself; maybe I am missing something.

The other console ports connect as VTY (do a show user or show line when logged in that way) so you just need to configure the vty lines for timeouts.

I thought I checked that but it's been a while. Thanks for the post. I will check again.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content